Thursday, October 31, 2013

Portraits of Influence: Sargent and Film

Just a little update, my loyal followers, I plan on engaging into a small series at the beginning of October delving into the influence of one of my favorite artists, the great 19th century realist, John Singer Sargent. Sargent was one of the most in-demand portrait painters of the late 19th and early 20th century, and with reason- his paintings transcend mere mastery and craftsmanship, and have an uncanny ability to vividly portray the characters Sargent's sitters.
Self-Portrait
John Singer Sargent (1906)
I've been quietly finding evidence of Sargent's influence on the design and appearance of certain films and certain paintings in films and I'll think you'll be interested in reading about my findings. As a quick precursor, it will be a short 3-4 post series, but I'm excited to start this discussion. Try to contain your anticipation.
Lady Agnew of Locknaw
John Singer Sargent (1892)
A beautiful portrait (one of my favorites), it doesn't apply to
my series but it's certainly gorgeous to behold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...