Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pam's Painting of Dunder-Mifflin in "The Office"

I finally saw the finale of The Office last week and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Since Michael Scott left, I'll be honest, I haven't watched it, but when I heard the finale was happening, I thought, "The Office may indeed become a cultural phenomena. I don't want to miss out on this finale, lest, in a rare chance, my children ask about it." Or something like that. 

I found the finale funny, but also touching and one of the most touching moments in the whole episode was the very end. At the very end of the episode (spoiler), Pam and Jim decide that they're moving and Pam, just before she leaves the office for the last time, takes her painting of the office building off the wall. So as I watched this all go down, I decided that her painting deserved a post. And here it is. 

To start with, in The Office, over its many seasons, Pam's character changes dramatically. Whatever. But around Season 3, she decides she's going follow her dream and  become an artist and she participates in an art show. So, in this episode, "Business School," she invites all the co-workers to her show and very few come. Oscar and a friend do come, but they criticize her work and it hurts her feelings. Sad. 
Later, Michael comes to the show and he loves her collection of pleasant watercolors. So, he buys the one of the office building and hangs it up right next to the office. And when he does this, Pam gives him a big hug and is visibly touched and reassured, whilst the audience chokes back silent tears. Later, with all this confidence, she goes to art school and by the end of show, she reveals a mural of her coworkers. Just lovely. 

To get technical for a while, the painting is a small watercolor. It is a simple painting of the office exterior and the parking lot. In actuality, the building is located in Van Nuys, California. Originally, the director did not like the paintings that the crew made for Pam. So, the crew had to redo them all. And I think, they looked pretty nice and really fit the character of a slightly amateur artist. 

I loved this painting for many reasons. It's not an incredible painting and it contains no real humor. But, as Michael Scott once said, "there's a lot of beauty in ordinary things". More importantly, it creates this really touching Pam-Michael moment that  really culminated in their sad farewell when Steve Carrell left the show. 

Ironically, seasons later, the new receptionist Erin, ruins the painting during a non-existent "Pam-Erin feud." However, I think the writers decided to forget about it so that they could have this lovely visual of one of the best characters of the show, Pam physically taking something she created of the office, from the office, obviously symbolizing all the non-material things she took from her job at Dunder Mifflin. 

36 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm looking for as large a file of Pam's painting of the office from The Office. It appears google has the wrong pixel count for this image. might you have an original or larger file?
    andruhodge@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I had a heck of time finding pictures of this painting. The picture I have on the site is of fairly good quality and I will email it to you. I hope it works out for you. By any chance, do you know the original artist?

      Delete
    2. Can you also email me the picture if you still have it? My email is kyle.anderson20@ymail.com

      Delete
    3. would it be possible for you to send it to me as well? thank you. jrdprr@gmail.com

      Delete
    4. And to saadimtiaz@gmail.com please?

      Delete
    5. I'd also like a copy of the picture if you wouldn't mind. I'd like to hang it and put it on my wall :)
      n.sinha008@gmail.com

      Delete
    6. Could you send that file to me as well? Smmorris0@gmail.com thanks!!

      Delete
    7. Can I please have a copy of this file? art.godineziii@gmail.com Thanks!

      Delete
    8. Would also love if you could send it to joshuagoodwin0@gmail.com - have been searching for it for ages

      Delete
    9. Can i please also have the file of this beautifull painting? sasliks00@inbox.lv

      Delete
    10. Can someone send me the file? murilo.rosa@outlook.com

      Delete
    11. I would indeed love a copy as well. jack_lipsky@yahoo.com

      Delete
    12. Could you also please email me a copy of the painting? My wife and I are huge Office fans and we're currently binge watching it for about the 7th time lol. I want to frame it for her for Valentine's day. My email is irelandjarrett7@gmail.com. Thank you so much.

      Delete
    13. The art used for Pam's character was done by my friend Meredith Kachel, an artist and stand-up comedian in Chicago. Here's her website... http://meredithkachel.com

      Delete
  2. good post! also could I get that file? dleecasey@gmail.com

    please and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good post! also could I get that file? dleecasey@gmail.com

    please and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your writing... can i get the file of the office watercolor too... cathplusthree@yahoo.com
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you posted this. May I please have that file as well? Thanks in advance!
    jason@haverkamp-properties.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same! I would really love to get my hands on that file . johnnydasalami@hotmail.com please and thnks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! Sorry I'm a little late to this! Would love a copy of the file if you still have it. Great blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great blog! i'd love one too if it's no trouble, will make a great gift.

    jedi528@aol.com

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would also love a copy - would make the perfect present for my girlfriend.

    alanbouwman@hotmail.com

    Cheers,

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  10. does anyone happen to know who painted the mural unveiled at the finale? I wanted to know if it was actually the actress or not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, could I also get a copy of that picture? It'll be a great present

    sandeepvb96@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it...Could I get a copy too?

    j.neria@hotmail.com

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could I please get a copy as well!? tjmst34@mail.rmu.edu

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would greatly appreciate a copy myself if that is possible. Thanks
    Daave897@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would very much appreciate a copy of the photo as well, if you don't mind! ort.kelly@gmail.com - Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would very much appreciate a copy of the photo as well, if you don't mind! alexis.s.henry@gmail.com - Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. May I also have a copy of the file if you still have it? Thank you. rreesss@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would LOVE to have a copy of the file as well. green4leaf@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love one as well! 14bingamanm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. May I get a copy of the file as well? Thank you. isaacpogon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I need a copy of the file please, gracias desde argentina! twistosricos@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. sorry to hassle you but I have been searching for a copy for a house warming gift would really appreciate if you could forward thank you kellycox607@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey sorry to bother you but could you send me the file as well? t832sanchez@gmail.com

    thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...